There are two categories of accreditation at ESSA. They have been designed to cater for the needs of individuals working in a clinical or sports science industry/ environment. To be eligible for accreditation, you must hold a current exercise science (Full) membership and you must meet the criteria listed in the application form. The accreditation categories are:
Exercise physiology accreditation is available to those professionals working in a clinical setting.
Sports science accreditation is open to those professionals working in the elite sports science industry.
Continuing professional development (CPD) for accredited members
ESSA requires accredited exercise physiologists (AEPs) and accredited sports scientists (ASps) to maintain their accreditation through continuing professional development.
Yearly requirements to maintain accreditation as an exercise physiologist/sports scientist are:
- A minimum of 20 CPD points per membership year (1 January – 31 December) are required by all accredited exercise physiologists/sports scientists.
There are two exceptions to this rule:
* In the year you first become accredited where there are no CPD requirements e.g. if accredited on 15 September 2013, you will have from that date until the end of the following calendar year (31 December 2014) to accrue your first 20 CPD points. 20 CPD points are required annually thereafter – i.e. January to December.
* If your accreditation has been suspended and you are returning to practice then separate CPD requirements apply – refer to ESSA’s Return to Practice Policy.
- Hold a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate (HLTCPR211A – Perform CPR or HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation). Your CPR must always be valid and be renewed annually.
- Hold a current first aid certificate (HLTFA311A – First Aid or HLTAID003 Provide First Aid). Your first aid must always be valid and be renewed as required.
A copy of your Statement of Attainments for CPR and first aid must be with your CPD logbook yearly and if you are selected in ESSA’s CPD compliance audit, these must be produced.
If a member is accredited as both an AEP and an ASp a total of 20 CPD points are required per year.
The current CPD logbooks and guidelines can be found on the ESSA Professional Development Centre. If you require the 2013 logbook and guidelines, please request this via email to email@example.com.
If you have any questions or for more information, please contact the ESSA office on 07 3862 4122 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org