Asking the Right Questions before buying Technology Podcast
Most of the activities we perform as part of our sport and exercise science professions are either driven or supported by data. These data are usually generated by the technological devices we use to monitor or test our athletes or clients, for example tracking devices (e.g., GPS), video analysis platforms, inertial sensors, motion capture systems, force plates, strength testing devices etc. Often, having the different data living in a common place (e.g. an athlete management system), coupled with our ability to interpret and communicate complex results, is the key to making better decisions.
Technology is pretty “cool” and is perceived by most as synonymous of progress, and that is the reason why tech companies invest in new devices development and heavy marketing.
Unfortunately, often individual professionals or sporting clubs purchase technology without having a clear idea of which products are available in the market and which can provide the right answers to their needs.
In this podcast, we will discuss which are the important questions to ask ourselves when preparing to buy new technology. This is a particularly important topic in current times of restricted budgets and uncertainty in our industry.
This is a recording of an ESSA webinar presented on 29 September 2020.
Presented by Dr Fabio Serpiello, PhD, AES
Dr Fabio Serpiello is a Senior Lecturer in Sport Physiology at Victoria University. He has teaching and research expertise in applied sport science, with particular focus on football, youth sport, technology, and the physiology of intermittent exercise. Fabio has worked at Melbourne Victory FC as the Head of Academy Sport Science, and was the inaugural Chair of ESSA's Sports Science Advisory Group.
In 2019, Fabio created comparesportstech.com, a platform to provide sport and exercise professionals with better awareness about the sports technology market. Since its inception, more than 4,000 people have visited the website with more than 22,000 page views.
Rates per person
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
|ESSA Student Member
Access to Podcast
You will be provided information on how to access this Podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologist, Accredited Sport Scientist Level 1, Accredited Sport Scientist Level 2 and/or Accredited Sports Scientist
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Now" button on the right
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration
(including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.
- All Professional Development logistics are correct at time of publication. Subject to change at anytime without notice.