Exercise Management of the Person with Chronic Kidney Disease Podcast
Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is a progressive, chronic illness that is characterized by a deterioration of renal function. CKD carries a raised morbidity and mortality burden and the end stage (5) requires renal replacement therapy or transplantation for survival. CKD prevalence increases with age and in the presence of certain diseases, especially cardiovascular disease and diabetes. There are several different ways that CKD can present symptoms. CKD does lead to a notable reduction in exercise capacity. Exercise prescription for a person with CKD should occur at an age-appropriate intensity suited to that individual’s exercise capacity. This presentation will examine how exercise programming may be modified to allow optimal delivery for a person with CKD.
This is a recording of an ESSA webinar presented on 13 May 2022.
Presented by Professor Neil Smart, PhD, M.Med.Sci., Bsc Hons, ESSAF
Neil is a research and teaching professor in the degrees of exercise science and clinical exercise physiology at the University of New England. Neil teaches units in exercise physiology, clinical exercise testing, exercise prescription for disease populations, exercise training and patho-physiology of chronic disease.
Neil's main research interests in exercise science are in exercise therapy for the management of chronic disease. Specifically Neil is interested in the role of intermittent ischaemia and hypoxia on the ability to improve blood vessel function. Neil has worked extensively with people with heart failure and type II diabetes. Neil has also completed >70 meta-analyses of the various benefits of exercise training in patients with chronic disease such as heart failure and renal failure. Neil provides an exercise physiology clinic so people with chronic illnesses in the local community can access the benefits of regular physical exercise.
Rates per person
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
|ESSA Student Member
Access to Podcast
You will be provided information on how to access this Podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist with 2+ years experience and/or Accredited Exercise Physiologist.
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Now" button on the right
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.
- All Professional Development logistics are correct at time of publication. Subject to change at anytime without notice.