Exercise Management of the Person with Cardio-oncology Symptoms Podcast
Cardio-oncology symptoms is a progressive, chronic illness that stems from cardiotoxicity following treatment for a range of cancers. Alterations to cardiovascular risk factors lead to the deterioration of cardiac function and incident cardiovascular disease (CVD). Cardio-oncology pathology carries a raised CVD morbidity and mortality burden. CVD prevalence naturally increases with age and in the presence of certain diseases and their treatments, especially cardio-oncology pathology, renal disease and diabetes. There are several different ways that a person with cardio-oncology pathology can present symptoms, for example a notable reduction body mass and in exercise capacity. Exercise prescription for a person with cardio-oncology syndrome should occur at an age-appropriate intensity suited to that individual’s exercise capacity and disease status. This podcast will examine how exercise programming may be modified to allow optimal delivery for a person with cardio-oncology symptoms.
This is a recording of an ESSA webinar presented on 24 June 2022.
Presented by Dr Neil Smart, PhD, M.Med.Sci., Bsc Hons, ESSAF
Neil is a research and teaching professor in the degrees of exercise science and clinical exercise physiology at the University of New England. Neil teaches units in exercise physiology, clinical exercise testing, exercise prescription for disease populations, exercise training and patho-physiology of chronic disease.
Neil's main research interests in exercise science are in exercise therapy for the management of chronic disease. Specifically Neil is interested in the role of intermittent ischaemia and hypoxia on the ability to improve blood vessel function. Neil has worked extensively with people with heart failure and type II diabetes. Neil has also completed >70 meta-analyses of the various benefits of exercise training in patients with chronic disease such as heart failure and renal failure. Neil provides an exercise physiology clinic so people with chronic illnesses in the local community can access the benefits of regular physical exercise.
Rates per person
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
|ESSA Student Member
Access to Podcast
You will be provided information on how to access this Podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologist, Accredited Sports Scientist Level 1, Accredited Sports Scientist Level 2 and/or Accredited High Performance Manager.
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Now" button on the right
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.
- All Professional Development logistics are correct at time of publication. Subject to change at anytime without notice.