Goal Setting for Exercise and Physical Activity Podcast
This podcast aims to provide ESSA members with an overview of recent developments in goal-setting, and discuss their implications for prescribing exercise and promoting physical activity. Specifically, this podcast will:
(1) summarise key changes in theory and evidence on goal-setting;
This is a recording of an ESSA webinar presented on 28 September 2022.
(2) explain why there have been calls to reconsider best practice in goal-setting for physical activity promotion;
(3) highlight potential risks and adverse effects of setting goals inappropriately;
(4) consider which type of goal works best, when, and for whom; and
(5) discuss practical considerations for delivering more evidence-based and more effective goal-setting
Presented by Associate Professor Christian Swann, Bsc (hons), PhD, SFHEA
Christian Swann is an Associate Professor in Psychology in the Faculty of Health at Southern Cross University. He completed his PhD in 2013 at University of Lincoln, UK where he subsequently worked for 3 years as a Lecturer in Sport Psychology. He moved to University of Wollongong in 2015 as a Research Fellow, and then joined Southern Cross University in 2018 where he held the role of Chair of Discipline for the Human Sciences from 2020-2022. His program of research focuses on the use of goal-setting in physical activity promotion, the promotion of mental health, and the psychology of exceptional performance. His current projects include the $3.66 million Regional Australia Mental Health Research and Training Institute, and an ARC Discovery Project to develop mental health guidelines for community sport in Australia.
Rates per person
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
|ESSA Student Member
Access to Podcast
You will be provided information on how to access this Podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologist, Accredited Sports Scientist Level 1, Accredited Sports Scientist Level 2.
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Now" button on the right
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.
- All Professional Development logistics are correct at time of publication. Subject to change at anytime without notice.