The State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) regulates insurance for:
Workers compensation
Motor accidents CTP
Home building compensation

There are several SIRA approved insurers who coordinate the rehabilitation services.

*Update on certificates of capacity/fitness (April 2020). Unfortunately ESSA has not been successful in its advocacy efforts proposing AEPs are included in any legislative amendments enabling a second or subsequent Certificate of Capacity/Fitness as part of the NSW Government’s COVID-19 emergency plan. ESSA is committed to continuing to advocate for AEPs and will advise as soon as there is an update.

1. How do I register?

Treatment Services
To be eligible to provide EP treatment services you need to obtain a provider number by:

1. Hold current AEP accreditation with ESSA. 
Note: You will need your ESSA accreditation number for your SIRA application

2. Complete the SIRA Allied Health Practitioners Training Program. This is a mandatory three-module course delivered by the Personal Injury Education Foundation (PIEF) and costs $107 per module. ESSA CPD points (2 points per module, 6 maximum) are available upon successful completion.

3. Complete the SIRA Allied Health Practitioner Application Form.
Note: This must be submitted to SIRA

    Workplace Rehabilitation Services
    To be eligible to provide workplace rehabilitation services, an individual MUST:
    1. Be an AEP with ESSA AND
    2. Provide evidence to ESSA that you have completed an approved university course or approved SIRA professional development.
    Note: You will be provided a SIRA certificate and letter which can be supplied to your employer

    Once eligible, the AEP must be employed by a
    SIRA approved workplace rehabilitation provider to be able to provide workplace rehabilitation services.

      2. What services can I provide?

      Exercise Physiology Treatment Services
      AEPs can provide exercise physiology (i.e. clinical) treatment services to help a worker recover following a workplace injury on referral from a GP or insurance case manager.

      When you receive a referral, you must contact the insurer before your first appointment with the worker to confirm:
      Their claim has been accepted;
      They are eligible for payment of medical and related expenses; and
      The insurer agrees treatment is reasonably necessary.

      You must submit an Allied Health Recovery Request (AHRR) Form when seeking pre-approval for treatment services.

      Services can include:
      Individual exercise interventions
      Group exercise sessions
      Education sessions
      Telehealth – you must consider the appropriateness of this mode of service delivery on a case-by-case basis. Telehealth services require pre-approval from the insurer and must be consented to in advance by all parties involved - the worker, the allied health practitioner and the insurer.

      Workplace Rehabilitation Providers
      Workplace rehabilitation providers are organisations accredited to deliver workplace rehabilitation services to help injured workers return to work. They have employees (e.g., AEPs) who have the qualifications, experience and expertise appropriate to provide timely intervention, with services based on the assessed need of the worker and the workplace. 

      Services include:
      Functional Capacity Evaluations (FCE)
      Workplace Assessments (WPA)


      3. What do I charge, and how do I bill?
      Services are paid for by the SIRA approved insurer.

      You must charge fees that do not exceed the maximum outlined in the Accredited Exercise Physiologist Fees Order. This is updated annually.

      GST applies to these services. Fees listed are GST exclusive.

      Your invoices must include:
      Worker's first and last name, and claim number
      ABN and payee details
      Your name and SIRA provider number
      Date of service
      SIRA workers compensation payment classification code and service costs
      Date of invoice (must be on the day of or after last date of service listed on the invoice)

      Travel costs require pre-approval from the insurer.


      4. What else do I need to know?
      • SIRA does not generally support the use of pool or gym programs for work related injuries.
      • Allied health practitioners do not have approval to enter a workplace to provide treatment services for a worker (not applicable for workplace rehabilitation providers).
      • Interstate allied health practitioners providing treatment services to a NSW worker outside of NSW do not need to be approved by SIRA, or complete the NSW allied health practitioner online training. They must adhere to the NSW workers compensation system requirements.
      • Allied health practitioners can bill for video consultations (telehealth services).


      5. Who do I contact with questions?
      General AHHR questions: 13 10 50 or

      Specific claim questions: Case manager or approved insurer

      • A workers compensation guide for allied health practitioners - essential information regarding the delivery of treatment services in the NSW workers compensation system
      • Allied Health Practitioner Framework webinar (15 mins)
      • General service provider information
      • SIRA Publications
      • Example AHHR
      • National Clinical Framework for the Delivery of Health Services


      Approved Universities

      Course Code

      Course Name


      Graduating Cohorts

      Australian Catholic University


      Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology



      Banyo, Fitzroy


      Charles Sturt University


      Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology



      Federation University


      Graduate Diploma of Clinical Exercise Physiology



       PJ9 Master of Exercise Physiology Ballarat & Mt Helen

      Griffith University


      Graduate Diploma of Exercise Science

      Gold Coast


      La Trobe University


      Master of Exercise Physiology



      Southern Cross University


      Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology



       Gold Coast 2016-2020

      University of Canberra


      Bachelor of Exercise Physiology and Rehabilitation



      University of New England


      Bachelor of Clinical Exercise Physiology



      University of New South Wales


      Bachelor of Exercise Physiology



      University of South Australia


      Bachelor of Clinical Exercise Physiology



      University of Southern Queensland


      Bachelor of Sport and Exercise: Honours – Clinical Exercise Physiology



      University of Wollongong


      Bachelor of Exercise Science and Rehabilitation




      Graduate Diploma in Exercise Rehabilitation**




      Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology**



      ** Students completing these courses MUST have completed the University of Wollongong undergraduate course.

      Approved Professional Development

      Course Name

      Years Available

      Australian Catholic University

      Occupational Assessment and Rehabilitation Unit

      2019 onwards

      Exercise and Sport Science Australia / Southern Cross University

      Workplace Rehabilitation

      March 2013 – September 2017



      2020 Information
      If you are looking to undertake the Occupational Assessment and Rehabilitaiton Unit in 2020, courses are run for the following date:
      Professional Term 8: 4 October - 6 December 2020 (on campus dates 1st and 2nd November, TBC)
      Courses are run online with two days required on campus (ACU Strathfield campus, Sydney). If you would like to enrol or have further questions please contact Daniel Berkelmans

      Updated May 2020.