The Psychology of Exercise - A Practitioner's Guide to Working with Mental Health
In a collaboration between an exercise physiologist and a clinical psychologist, we present to you the unique opportunity to develop your skills in treating mental health patients as an exercise physiologist.
This dedicated two-day professional development aims to:
- Provide a background to mental health disorders (Anxiety, Depression, PTSD, Substance Abuse Disorders)
- Review the literature and best practice surrounding exercise prescription / treatment mapping for mental health presentations
- Review of assessment scales
- Develop skills in communication / motivational interviewing
- Develop skills around de-escalation and how to manage the unique risk mental health patients may pose
- Engage in practical application of the skills learned through case studies
All with the aim of improving practitioners’ abilities to work successfully within the mental health space.
Presented by David Parkinson and Simone Natoli
Mr David Parkinson (B.HMS, M. Clin Ex Phys)
David’s professional development has included over 15 years experience in rehabilitation. David is the owner and Senior Exercise Physiologist in a private practice clinic named DP Health Physiotherapy and Exercise Physiology, with a focus on soft tissue and mental health rehabilitation. David has completed a Bachelor of Science, Human Movement (SCU) and a Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology (ACU) and continues to advance his learning with courses and conferences to stay update with the latest evidence based practise.
Simone Natoli – BPsychSc, BA(Psychology)Hons, MClinPsych
Simone is a Clinical Psychologist currently working in private practice, with previous experience working in the public health system and NGOs. She works with children and adults with varying mental health presentations, including anxiety, depression, substance abuse, complex trauma/PTSD, psychosis, and OCD. She has a keen interest in exercise and how it impacts mental health, and will regularly include exercise as part of her treatment of patients. Simone holds a Bachelor of Psychological Science, a Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) Honours, and Master of Clinical Psychology.
||$785 ($685 Early Bird Rate)
||10 & 11 October 2020
|21 & 22 November 2020
|To be advised
|5 & 6 December 2020