ESSA supports exercise professionals in four distinct groups
Click on the following professional for more information:
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEP) – use exercise to help manage chronic conditions and injuries
Accredited Exercise Scientists (AES) – use exercise to improve health, well-being and fitness
considering study/CAREER in exercise & sports science/exercise physiology?
Click here for careers in the field of exercise and sports science
Choosing a course of study
- ESSA approves courses at a range of universities across Australia, these courses are referred to as ‘NUCAP’ courses (National University Course Accredited Program).
- Courses are approved at two levels 1) Exercise Science (ES) and 2) Exercise Physiology (EP). ESSA approves both undergraduate and post graduate courses see here
- ESSA recommends you choose a NUCAP course of study. Some courses are advertised and still in the process of gaining ESSA approval or re-accreditation. Please speak to the university about the status of their course approval.
What is accreditation?
Accreditation is a professional recognition of standards. Many professions have individual accreditation or registration that allows individuals to be recognised in the industry and to practice within schemes such as Medicare and DVA.
- To become an Accredited Exercise Scientist (AES) you can complete a NUCAP OR Non NUCAP course of study, however ESSA recommends you choose a NUCAP course as it automatically meets the standards for accreditation.
- To become an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) you must complete a NUCAP course at the EP level.
- If you already have an undergraduate qualification in or related to exercise and sports science (e.g. human movement studies, exercise science, sport science) and are considering becoming an AEP you will need to apply to ESSA for a Graduate Entry Assessment as part of the entry requirements to a post graduate exercise physiology course. This assessment will determine whether you can satisfy some or all of the prerequisite knowledge and skills required to enter the course, that is a) The Exercise Science Standards and b) 140 hours of apparently healthy practicum.
- If you have an undergraduate qualification that is NOT related to the field of exercise and sport science e.g. marketing, business, psychology and wish to become and AEP ESSA recommends considering a four year degree and speaking to the higher education provider about the possibility of any credit from your undergraduate qualification. See the list of courses that are approved for ES & EP
Meet OUR members
Click here to meet the Accredited Exercise Scientist (AES) of the year 2016
Click here to meet the Accredited Sports Scientist (ASpS) of the year 2016
Click here to meet the Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) of the year 2016
EXercise Right.com.au – HOW TO ‘EXERCISE RIGHT’ FOR YOUR CONDITION (ADULTS & CHILDREN)
ESSA’s consumer website Exercise Right can inspire and inform ALL Australians to be healthier and more active
THE VALUE OF EXERCISE SERVICES TO CONSUMERS
ESSA engaged Deloitte Access Economics to quantify the value of accredited exercise physiologists in Australia from the perspective of society as a whole (Deloitte Access Economics, 2015). The report found benefits in terms of reduced health system costs, reduced productivity losses and wellbeing gains from lifestyle interventions delivered by accredited exercise physiologists for individuals living with type 2 diabetes, depression, chronic heart failure and other chronic diseases. Click here to view the report.
HOW TO ENGAGE THE SERVICES OF AN ESSA MEMBER
Find an exercise professional relevant to your needs here and review the types of conditions you could refer to an AEP here.
HIRING AN ESSA MEMBER
Advertise your role through ESSA. Click here for the form.
Should you wish to make a complaint about the conduct of an ESSA member or ESSA accredited professional please click here.
You may also able to make a complaint about a health service or health care worker under the National Code of Conduct for general health services in your state. Please click here for more information.