This professional development will provide an overview of exercise considerations during pregnancy and the post-partum period. In particular, we will cover physiological changes during pregnancy (and how you need to accommodate for these with your exercise prescription), exercise during pregnancy guidelines, common musculoskeletal conditions during pregnancy, and post-partum exercise prescription. There will be a focus on translating the research and guidelines into applied exercise physiology practice. In particular, this webinar will discuss safety considerations for providing exercise training for pregnant and post-partum women.
The recording is of a webinar presented by ESSA on 17 May 2019.
Presented by Dr Kassia Beetham, PhD, B.AppSc (Ex Sci) (Hons), GCHEd, ESSAM, AEP
Kassia is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist, and is the Course Coordinator for the Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology program at the Brisbane campus, at Australian Catholic University. Kassia’s PhD was completed at the University of Queensland looking at the effects of a lifestyle intervention on cardiovascular risk factors in patients with chronic kidney disease. She then went on to complete postdoctoral work at the University of Sydney and Macquarie University, looking at the effects of a playground intervention in children with disability. Her current research interest is in clinical exercise physiology and women’s health, particularly pregnancy and postpartum. Kassia has an interest in high intensity training across chronic disease populations and during pregnancy and postpartum periods.
Rates per person
|ESSA Student Member
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
Access to podcast
You will be provided all information to access this podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Physiologist.
Audience Disclaimer: All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice, and only treat/practice within the same.
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Myself" button below
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration which holds a 1.0% merchant fee. Merchant fee included in registration cost below.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.