This professional development activity will provide an overview of substance use disorders and how exercise can play a role in treatment and recovery of addiction. This will include examining the clinical presentation of clients across a range of drug and alcohol use disorders. To examine the role of exercise we will present an overview of the existing evidence base for physical activity based in drug and alcohol use disorders. This research provides the basis for how to assess and prescribe exercise appropriately to assist with the management of cravings and treatment for addictions, and the development of guidelines for safe best practice for exercise physiologists in all settings. Finally we will discuss the considerations and contraindications for individuals or groups exercising with substance use disorders.
The recording is of a webinar presented by ESSA on 13 August 2019.
Presented by Miss Kirrily Gould, BExPhys, MResearch
Kirrily Gould is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist working as a senior exercise physiologist across 2 sites for St John of God Hospital. She has been working in mental health for over 5 years during which has completed her masters of medical research in the school of Psychiatry at UNSW, investigating the effect and feasibility of exercise on alcohol urges and cravings. She has started implementing exercise as an adjunctive therapy in the inpatient and outpatient clinical within the hospital and seeing great results in mood management and substance urge surfing.Kirrily has also been involved in collaborative research and helped develop the consensus statement for the role of a exercise physiologist in mental health. Kirrily is passionate about having exercise implemented as a formalised part of therapy within the treatment of mental health conditions.
Rates per person
|ESSA Student Member
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
Access to podcast
You will be provided all information to access this podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologist, Accredited Sports Scientist Level 1 and Level 2 and/or Accredited High Performance Manager
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the pink "Register Myself" button below
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration which holds a 1.0% merchant fee. Merchant fee included in registration cost below.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.