With the changing world landscape to a more data-driven society, sports scientists are becoming increasingly reliant upon statistics for their decision making. This webinar will look at the current landscape of statistics within the sports science community and highlight areas in which we, as a profession, can progress. This webinar will also introduce some statistical methods that can be utilised in datasets that contain many repeated measures of the same individual – which are commonly found within sports science.
The recording is of a webinar presented by ESSA on 24 March 2020.
Presented by Mr Tim Newans PhD
After completing his Exercise Science undergraduate degree at Griffith University, Tim started his career as the data analyst at Brisbane Roar FC in the 2016/17 season. Since then, Tim has held academic and professional roles simultaneously. Professionally, Tim moved to the National Rugby League where he worked in the Elite Women’s Program, assisting in the formation of the talent identification program for the NRLW competition. Tim led the development of a national testing database for female athletes looking to progress into the NRLW competition.
Academically, Tim took a sessional academic role at Griffith University teaching undergraduate statistics into exercise and health science related courses. He has also consulted on more than 20 research projects as a statistics consultant. In 2019, Tim was awarded Griffith University’s Sessional Academic of the Year and was also awarded Associate Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy. Tim aims to educate current and future sport scientists in the correct application of both statistical methods and data visualisation. He is currently undertaking a PhD at Griffith University looking at how this can be achieved through development of sport science-specific material in statistical education.
Rates per person
|ESSA Student Member
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
Access to podcast
You will be provided all information to access this podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologists, Accredited Sport Scientists Level 1, Accredited Sport Scientists Level 2 and/or Accredited High Performance Manager
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Myself" button below
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration which holds a 1.0% merchant fee. Merchant fee included in registration cost below.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.