The Mental Health of Athletes: Research, Ratings and Recommendations Podcast
This 1-hour podcast will review the literature relating to the mental health of elite and student-athletes. This will lay the foundation to describe the diagnostic criteria that psychologists and medical professionals use to guide diagnostic decision making. Following this, I will review the reported barriers and facilitators to help-seeking behaviours as well as what you can do if you suspect someone may be experiencing distress. To conclude I will focus on 2 specialist areas that are prone to mental health concerns; injury and retirement.
The recording is of a webinar presented by ESSA on 10 June 2020.
Presented by Mr Michael Duhig
Michael Duhig is an Educational and Developmental Psychologist and Team Leader of the Centre for Clinical Trials in Rare-Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Queensland Children’s Hospital. Michael holds an adjunct appointment as associate lecturer at the University of Queensland, Child Health Research Centre. Michael’s research interests include developmental disability and child and youth mental health. Michael has published several articles related to autism, childhood trauma and psychosis, hospital readmission and off-label pharmacological use. Aside from research, Michael is a panel member of the Mental Health Scholarships Scheme for Allied Health Professionals and Chair of the College of Educational and Developmental Psychologists in Queensland.
Rates per person
|ESSA Student Member
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
Access to podcast
You will be provided all information to access this podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologists, Accredited Sport Scientists Level 1, Accredited Sport Scientists Level 2 and/or Accredited High Performance Manager
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Myself" button below
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration which holds a 1.0% merchant fee. Merchant fee included in registration cost below.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.