Para Sport is a broad and inclusive term that covers grassroots competitions for people with a disability, all the way up to the Paralympic Games- the pinnacle of sports competition for para athletes. A common thread throughout all para sport is Classification. This webinar will introduce this complex and contentious concept of how and why athletes are placed into classes. We will discuss fairness, talent, impairment and performance and touch on some controversy in Para Sport including intentional misrepresentation (cheating) and whether athletes with impairments should compete at the Olympic games. To conclude, we will link these concepts back to how AEP’s AES’s and Sport Scientists might need to consider classification in their practice and also how they might facilitate participation in para sport for people with a disability.
The recording is of a webinar presented by ESSA on 21 November 2019.
Presented by Dr Emma Beckman, BAppSci(HMS), PhD
Dr Emma Beckman is an academic in a Teaching and Research position at the University of Queensland. Dr Beckman’s research interests are predominantly in Para Sport, with a particular focus in classification research. She is interested and passionate about engaging in research to improve the lives of people with disabilities through sport and physical activity. Dr Beckman also has a keen interest in Interprofessional practice, and has won an international award for her commitment to interprofessional collaborations and international engagement. She has been successful in securing over one million dollars in research funding, predominantly from industry sources. Emma is an accredited Paralympic Athletics Classifier both nationally and internationally, and volunteers for Athletics Australia and The International Paralympic Committee in this capacity. Emma is accredited as an Exercise Physiologist and a Sport Scientist and was recognized as a Women’s leader in Sport in 2018 by Exercise and Sport Science Australia (ESSA)
Rates per person
|ESSA Student Member
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologist, Accredited Sport Scientists Level 1 and/or Accredited Sport Scientists Level 2
ESSA CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Myself" button below
Manual Form: click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration which holds a 1.0% merchant fee. Merchant fee included in registration cost below.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.