Matt Hughes, ESSAM, Fitness/Sport Industry
Speed & Conditioning Coach
M E Hughes AES Football
How long have you been in the role?
Give us a brief background on your career to date?
Completed Bachelor of Sports Science (1992) & Graduate Diploma in Education (1993) UNSW. Juggled full-time PDHPE teaching with numerous part-time positions in Sport before taking a leap of faith from the security of full-time employment to establish M E Hughes AES Football.
What have been the highlights?
- 2017 (the establishment of my business) saw the realisation of aspirations I have held since 1992 and is the culmination of all experiences good and bad throughout that time.
- Assisting and encouraging students on their path to careers in exercise and sports science during my time in PDHPE.
Disappointments are all lessons in the rear vision mirror.
What are you plans for the next 3-5 years?
- Continue to grow my brand and coaching reputation by providing an unrivalled service for footballers of all codes in my local area.
- Deliver more than just training sessions.
- Educate & mentor my players and share in their individual journeys.
- I hope my passion & investment in each player is displayed in a genuine & authentic way EVERY session.
If you could name 3 skills, you need for your role what would they be?
Ability to hold a conversation with kids, teens & young adults.
Flexibility to make adjustments to session plans on the run (coach what you see & expect the unexpected from kids).
Business administration & marketing skills.
One piece of advice you would give a student.
Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do.