ESSA is the peak professional association for sports and exercise science professionals. We are committed to establishing, promoting and defending the career paths of tertiary trained exercise and sports science practitioners.
As a membership association, we are here to support you to be the best professional you can be. As an accreditation body, we ensure our accredited professionals meet high standards to fulfill industry need, and practice with integrity.
You can book in to speak to an Advisor by Phone, Zoom or Team.
What will ESSA do to help you?
- Build partnerships with key stakeholders to support our professionals (e.g. government, universities, health sector, sport, public)
- Offer research grants and awards to recognise and promote our industry professionals
- Develop best practice resources to help you do your job the best you can
- Communicate key changes happening in industry and how they will affect you
- Source and offer quality professional development (including our biennial Research to Practice conference)
- Revise Professional Standards and other key documents to meet industry need and promote new opportunities
- Provide excellent customer service
- Strengthen our professions by achieving goals outlined in the ESSA Strategic Plan
- Promote the benefits of physical activity and exercise to the general public, and the role our accredited professionals play through various platforms, including Exercise Right
- Promote the role of our accredited exercise physiologists to the medical community (GPs, Practice Nurses etc) through Exercise is Medicine Australia
- Promote the latest jobs opportunities for our professions
ESSA supports members to start and or grow a successful business by offering relevant resources and education through the ESSA Business Hub. The EBH also offers exclusive discounts for a range of suppliers and even offer FREE podcasts (we call them Business Chats) from industry experts and experienced business owners who share their wisdom with you.
The Early Career section of our Professional Resources provides a range of go-to resources to support you in your early years of practice. Most new graduates just want to make sure they are doing the right thing. Whether you are trying to navigate your employment offer/contract, want a mentor, keen to learn more about a specific work sector or advice about best practice service delivery, we have you covered. Click here to access resources.
How does ESSA communicate with you?
Important information about industry happenings, opportunities and changes to requirements will always be emailed to you or included in enews, so make sure you keep up to date with our correspondence:
- ESSA website
- Annual ESSA member survey
- Social media (Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter)
- MOVE magazine
- Activate magazine
How can you help ESSA?
ESSA needs the support of our passionate and enthusiastic professionals on the ground to help drive our professions forward:
- Volunteer your time at ESSA events
- Take an active role in feedback on policy development and other industry consultations
- Give us your feedback in the annual ESSA Member Survey
- Get involved with Exercise Right – take part in activities, promote through your contacts, and help provide content through writing for blogs and factsheets
- Network with your peers
- Attend local health networking events e.g. Primary Health Networks (PHNs)
- Promote yourself! Take ESSA resources with you everywhere and make local contacts
- Talk to us – you are the key link to the industry so talk to us about opportunities, contacts and issues you are aware of
Networking with your peers and the wider industry
ESSA can provide you with a number of different opportunities to connect with other members. Networking can be a fantastic way to build your knowledge of the industry and how you can succeed.
Ways you can connect:
- Contact your State Chapter (even better, volunteer to join the State Chapter)
- Facebook groups
- Special interest groups
- Find a mentor
- Take a role on various committees, both within ESSA and in the broader industry
- Attend conferences
- Attend a range of professional development opportunities (e.g. biennial ESSA Research to Practice conference)