Click here for an example of how you can get your 20 CPD points.
How to manage your annual CPD requirements
- SET your Professional Development (PD) goals
- CHOOSE opportunities that meet your goals
- CHECK the PD meets ESSA's CPD requirements.
- RECORD your CPD and keep evidence.
For a resource that break downs the two categories within the ESSA CPD Point System, click here.
Still unsure if a CPD you completed is eligible for points, complete this form.
ESSA Self-Assessment Tool
Learning activities that reflect the Further Education category must be assessed to be eligible for CPD points. Where an assessment of learning is not carried out by the professional development activity providers, you may self-assess your learning by completing the ESSA Self-Assessment Tool. This tool must be completed and kept as CPD evidence and you will be required to manually add this information to your electronic logbook.
Downloadable document: ESSA Self-Assessment Tool
You should also use the ESSA Self-Assessment Tool when:
- You complete a conference of forum
- Provide feedback on documents or systems, related to industry, during a consultation process
- You read a journal article or review a scientific paper
- You complete an ESSA survey
ESSA also recommends you use this tool for all professional development activities to support with your self reflection.
Recording evidence of CPD
* You can use an Electronic CPD Logbook - follow the below steps for access:
- Sign into Members Account (top right side of page)
- Click on “Professional Development” from top menu
- Click on “My Electronic Logbook” from right-hand side menu
* 2021 CPD Manual Logbook (downloadable word version)
To record evidence of a mentoring partnership please complete the Mentorship Agreement and Record of Mentorship.
Reduction of/extension to ESSA’s annual CPD requirements
In situations of extenuating personal and/or professional hardship a reduction/extension to the required annual CPD points may be granted. To apply for a reduction/extension to the required annual CPD points, the accredited person is required to complete a CPD Reduction/Extension application form, outlining details of the extenuating circumstances that would allow for a reduction/extension to be granted. Completed applications should be forwarded to the Regulations Services Unit and results are at the discretion of ESSA.
- Only situations that have created a significant obstacle to your ability to complete the required annual CPD points will be considered.
- Application for an extension/reduction to 2022 CPD requirements must be submitted prior to 31 January 2023. Applications will not be accepted after this date. The application form should be submitted to ESSA prior to renewing your Accreditation or Membership for 2023, to avoid making a false declaration to ESSA.
- The outcome of your application will be provided by email within 10 working days from date of receipt.
- No exemption of the annual CPD requirements will be considered.
Contact [email protected] for further information.
Previous years requirements
2019 changes included:
- A new points system of only 2 categories: Further Education and Self-Education/Professional Contributions
- Revised points system: increased points allocation and/or caps for most Further Education activities
- Inclusion of applicable presentation and publication activities within the Further Education activities: these must be targeted at peers. See the CPD Guidelines
- Greater flexibility in acceptable evidence
- Introduction of CPD points requirements for individuals in the first year of their first ESSA accreditation. This will be calculated on quarterly pro-rata basis. See the CPD Guideline
For the ESSA CPD point guidelines, point system and/or manual logbooks for previous years (2017 - 2012), please contact ESSA Professional Development at [email protected], or phone 07 3171 3335.