ESSA Position Statement: Exercise for People with Hip/Knee Osteoarthritis
This online activity will provide an overview of the updated ESSA Position Statement on exercise and physical activity for people with hip/knee osteoarthritis. It will overview the current evidence for exercise in people with hip/knee osteoarthritis and give guidance to practitioners about how best to implement exercise in clinical practice.
This is a recording of an ESSA webinar presented on 26 April 2023.
Presented by Professor Rana Hinman & Associate Professor Michelle Hall
Prof Rana Hinman, BPhysio(Hons), PhD, FAHMS
Rana is a research physiotherapist and National Health & Medical Research Council Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Health, Exercise & Sports Medicine at the University of Melbourne. Her research focuses on clinical trials of non-drug non-surgical treatment strategies for osteoarthritis, in particular exercise, rehabilitation and biomechanical interventions. Her research aims to develop and evaluate strategies to support positive behaviour change in people with chronic musculoskeletal conditions, particularly adherence to exercise. Rana's research has a focus on implementation science, and she has a strong interest in developing and implementing methods to increase access to care, including telerehabilitation and digital health strategies.
A/Prof Michelle Hall, BSc(Hons), MSc, PhD
Michelle trained in exercise science, and a has a particular interest in osteoarthritis of the hip and knee. She leads a research program focused on understanding the neuromuscular and biomechanical mechanisms that underline osteoarthritis and non-surgical treatments. Her research is considered influential in moving the scientific field and patient care forward with >85 publications and contributions to clinical guidelines. She holds an Investigator Grant from the National Health & Medical Research Council that aims to enhance the therapeutic effects of exercise for hip and knee osteoarthritis. Michelle has an extensive community engagement portfolio and is an advocate for participation of youth in STEM.
Rates per person
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
|ESSA Student Member
Access to Online Activity
Your online activity will be available in your ESSA learning profile after purchase. Please click here to access your ESSA learning profile.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologist.
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Now" button on the right
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.
- All Professional Development logistics are correct at time of publication. Subject to change at anytime without notice.