What is an Accredited High Performance Manager (AHPM)?
AHPMs are highly experienced sports scientists who specialise in overseeing a team’s sports science/sports medicine services. They have advanced skills and knowledge which are applied to lead programs for high performance, elite and professional sports and athletes.
Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA) is the peak professional body and sole accrediting body for Accredited High Performance Managers. ESSA is also the accrediting body for Accredited Exercise Physiologists, Accredited Exercise Scientists and Accredited Sports Scientists.
To gain AHPM accreditation with ESSA, an individual must:
NB. Other pathways may be available. Please contact the ESSA Office for more information.
- be a graduate from a minimum AQF level 7 qualification, that leads to the award of a Bachelor degree in the field of exercise, sport or movement science, or in health/allied health
- meet the Accredited Sports Science Professional Standards – Level 1
- meet the Accredited High Performance Manager Professional Standards – Level 2
- have completed at least 5 years’ full time equivalent supervised experience in a high-performance setting.
To maintain accreditation with ESSA, an Accredited High Performance Manager is required to:
- hold and maintain a valid First Aid and CPR certificate when working with clients/human subjects
- hold and maintain appropriate professional indemnity insurance
- complete an annual Continuing Professional Program comprising 20 points per annum
- uphold the ESSA Code of Professional Conduct and Ethical Practice.
Accredited High Performance Managers can work in a number of environments, including but not limited to:
- institutes or academies of sport
- professional clubs
- national sports organisations
- state teams
- local teams.
At all times an ESSA Accredited High Performance Manager makes the wellbeing of the athlete, the team, and other service users their primary concern by providing the utmost duty of care and never recommending the use of any substance or practice that might knowingly cause the harm to the service user.
Click here for ESSA's Integrity in Sports Science Fact Sheet.
High Performance Manager Accreditation
For information on applying for High Performance Manager accreditation, please refer to 'Ways to Join ESSA' page here