The mental health of Australian children and adolescents is gaining increasing attention. Almost one in seven young people, between the ages of four and 17 years, experience a mental health condition. This course focuses specifically on anxiety disorders and depression in children and adolescents and the emerging role of exercise physiology as part of their treatment. The course explores the current evidence-base for physical activity and brain health for children and adolescents and offers real-life clinical examples of physical activity interventions for young people with anxiety disorders and depression.
The recording is of a webinar presented by ESSA on 11 October 2019.
Presented by Ms Melissa Sbaraglia, BAppSci(HM), MAppSci(ExRehab), ESSAM, AES, AEP
Melissa is a Senior Exercise Physiologist with Children’s Health Queensland Child and Youth Mental Health Service in Brisbane, Australia. An AEP for over ten years, Melissa has gained extensive experience across various clinical and academic roles in Melbourne and Brisbane - including adult, youth, and child mental health inpatient and community services. In her current role, Melissa has overseen the integration of Exercise Physiology as part of the multidisciplinary care of children and young people with chronic and complex mental health conditions. Melissa is a PhD candidate examining the behaviour change strategies that support people with a chronic disease to initiate and maintain their participation in physical activity.
Rates per person
|ESSA Student Member
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
Access to podcast
You will be provided all information to access this podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Physiologist
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Myself" button below
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration which holds a 1.0% merchant fee. Merchant fee included in registration cost below.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.