Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) involves the build-up of plaque (atherosclerosis) along the arteries that carry blood to the peripheries. Overtime, this plaque can reduce oxygen-rich blood supply to the peripheries (i.e. legs). The impact of this reduced blood supply can be detrimental on a patients’ health and impacts their walking ability and performance. This webinar concisely describes the impact of PAD on gait and highlights strategies for exercise therapists to assist clients presenting with PAD.
The recording is of a webinar presented by ESSA on 9 August 2019.
Presented by Dr Robert Crowther, BSpExSc(Hons), PhD
Dr Crowther undertook his studies at James Cook University from 2000-2008. His PhD involved researching the impact and treatment of PAD on walking mobility across 12 months. The PhD project resulted in many publications in high impact journals (i.e. Journal of Vascular Surgery). Additionally, the outcome of this research assisted in the PAD ESSA position statement. Dr Crowther is a full-time university academic teaching biomechanics, motor learning and neuromusculoskeletal rehabilitation. Additionally, Dr Crowther has worked as a private Accredited Exercise Physiologist specialising in gait disorders for over 10 years. With a strong focus in education and clinical skills, Dr Crowther has been running continuing professional development courses online and in person around Australia since 2012.
Rates per person
|ESSA Student Member
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
Access to podcast
You will be provided all information to access this podcast within your registration confirmation email.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist and/or Accredited Exercise Physiologist
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the pink "Register Myself" button below
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration which holds a 1.0% merchant fee. Merchant fee included in registration cost below.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.