Degree qualified exercise professionals can be recognised under the following accreditation types;

Accredited Exercise Scientists (AES) – use exercise to improve health, well-being and fitness
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEP) – use exercise to help manage chronic conditions, disability and injuries 
Accredited Sports Scientists (ASpS) – use exercise to improve sporting performance
Accredited High Performance Managers (AHPM) – manage a range of performance services for elite sport

ESSA engaged Deloitte Access Economics to quantify the value of accredited exercise physiologists in Australia from the perspective of society as a whole (Deloitte Access Economics, 2015). The report found benefits in terms of reduced health system costs, reduced productivity losses and well-being gains from lifestyle interventions delivered by accredited exercise physiologists for individuals living with type 2 diabetes, depression, chronic heart failure and other chronic diseases. Click here to view the report.  

Advertise your role through ESSA? Click here for more information.


If your business is registered to collect GST then all services attract the tax except those provided under Medicare and NDIS (i.e. no GST for Medicare & NDIS services). GST should not be added to any Medicare gap payment that might be charged to the client either.  

ESSA advises that if you provide DVA services to read the guidelines outlined by DVA regarding claiming for GST that is applicable to your business which is outlined briefly below in the GST on services for DVA clients.

How much do I pay an AEP?
AEPs are allied health professionals and are clinically trained (minimum 4-year degree)
Employers use the relevant state award and federal award as benchmarks to determine pay rates. Employers also consider qualifications, experience, pay rates for other allied health and employment structure (casual, contract and permanent employee). Please search the relevant state award on the Fairwork Ombudsman website. For example, the relevant state based award for allied health professionals in Victoria is Allied Health Professionals (Victorian Public Health Sector) Single interest Enterprise Agreement 2016-2020
If there are no enterprise bargaining agreements in the specific workplace, the Health Professionals and Support Services Award outlines the minimum wage for AEPs in private practice

Search SEEK or other websites for advertised positions to compare pay rates
If you are offering employment based on a percentage rate, the average is approx 40-60%
Causal rates are typically starting between $30-40/hr and group sessions from $40/hr

How much do I pay an AES?
AES specialise in exercise prescription for clients that are otherwise healthy (i.e. no conditions), clients at risk of chronic conditions, and can work as an allied health assistant (and can deliver exercise interventions prescribed by an AEP). They may also work as project officers promoting exercise, health and well-being initiatives. AES may also work in fitness centers as a personal trainer/group trainer.
Employers use two federal awards to benchmark pay rates the Health Professionals and Support Services Award and the Fitness Industry Award 2010 (published August 2017

How much do I pay an ASpS or AHPM?
Sports scientists and high-performance managers are experts in exercise prescription and exercise science services for elite athletes and teams
There is no specific sports science award at this time, however, Fairwork have advised the award used will be dependent on the employing organisation 
National or state sporting organisation (NSO/SSOs) (i.e. Swimming Australia, QLD Gymnastics) will use the Sporting Organisations Award.
A health organisation (i.e. employers whose business and/or activity is in the delivery of healthcare, medical services and dental services, Sports Medicine Clinic)  will use the Health Professional Award
Employers must meet the national employment standards at a minimum

ESSA’s consumer website Exercise Right for information on exercise for Adults and Kids
See Exercise is Medicine Australia for fact sheets on exercise for a variety of chronic conditions


Should you wish to make a complaint about the conduct of an ESSA member or ESSA accredited professional please click here. 

You may also able to make a complaint about a health service or health care worker under the National Code of Conduct for general health services in your state. Please click here for more information.